Scientific Advisory Board of the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut
The work of the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut is supported by a Scientific Advisory Board that meets twice a year. According to the current bylaws it is appointed for a period of four years. The Scientific Advisory Board provides guidance to the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut to enable it to carry out its technical and scientific work at an internationally competitive level.
- To regularly comment on the technical and scientific performance of the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut.
- To advise on the development of medium and long-term goals.
- To promote cooperation with other research establishments.
- To support and advise the Institute in optimising its organisation, especially with regard to its technical and scientific work.
- On request, to provide technical advice before decisions are made.
The work of the Scientific Advisory Board does not affect the duties and responsibilities of the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut or its administrative and technical supervision.
Composition (as of 1 Juni 2017)
The members of the Advisory Board are recognised scientific specialists in the fields in which the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut operates. They are appointed by the President of the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut with the consent of the Federal Ministry of Health for a uniform period of four years.
The members of the Scientific Advisory Board were appointed in spring 2017 for the period from 2017-2020 - see list of members below. The inaugural meeting of the newly appointed board was held on Tuesday, 30 May 2017.
- Prof. Dr. Christian Bogdan, Institute of Microbiology - Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, University Hospital Erlangen
- Prof. Dr. Barbara Bohle, Center for Pathophysiology, Infectiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna
- Dr. Karl-Heinz Buchheit, Head of Department DBO, The European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines & Healthcare, EDQM, Strasbourg
- Prof. Dr. Hildegard Büning, Laboratory of Infection Biology and Gene Transfer, Institute of Experimental Hematology, Hannover Medical School
- Prof. Dr. Hans-Georg Eichler, Senior Medical Officer, European Medicines Agency, London
- Prof. Dr. Simone Fulda, Director of the Institute for Experimental Cancer Research in Pediatrics, Goethe University Hospital Frankfurt
- Prof. Dr. Alexander von Gabain, Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Innovation and Commercial Outreach, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm
- Prof. Dr. Hartmut Hengel, Institute of Virology, University Hospital Freiburg
- Prof. Dr. Christiane Herden, Institute of Veterinary Pathology, Justus Liebig University Giessen
- Prof. Dr. Christine Mannhalter, Head of Genom Austria, Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (CeMM), Medical University of Vienna
- Prof. Dr. Michael P. Manns, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Thomas C. Mettenleiter, President Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut, Federal Research Institute for Animal Health
- Prof. Dr. Reinhold E. Schmidt, Executive Director of the Center of Internal Medicine, Department of Immunology and Rheumatology, Hannover Medical School
- Prof. Dr. Sigrun Smola, Director of the Institute of Virology, Saarland University Medical Center, Homburg
- Prof. Dr. Fred Zepp, Director Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Medical Center, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz