The research projects and topics of the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut (PEI) follow the institute’s Research Programme. The programme is available in English as well as in German.
Research Programme of the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut 2016-2020
Forschungsprogramm des Paul-Ehrlich-Instituts 2016-2020
In general, research at the PEI is financed by third-party funding. Its research projects are closely linked with the institute’s tasks as an internationally operating regulatory authority. The combination of regulatory and research expertise constitutes the worldwide high reputation and state-of-the-art competence of the PEI.
In this spirit, three key cross-divisional research areas were definded:
- Regulatory Research & Innovative Medicinal Product Testing
- Pathogen-Host & Biomedicine-Organism Interactions
- Experimental Vaccines, Therapies & Diagnostics.
Overall research aims of the PEI are:
- to ensure and improve the quality, safety, and efficacy of vaccines and biomedicines
- to foster the development of novel vaccines and biomedicines
- to innovate risk assessment in regulation
- to support evidence-based regulatory decisions
- to provide health policy decision-makers with expert advice regarding vaccines and biomedicines
- to further - where reasonable - the refinement, reduction and/or replacement of animal experiments in the field of product testing and batch release.
Research Manager of the PEI is: