Standardization and Evaluation of Vaccines
In August 2013, the World Health Organization (WHO) designated a WHO Collaborating Centre for Standardization and Evaluation of Vaccines at the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut (PEI).
The members of staff of the Collaborating Centre are experts employed at the PEI in the divisions responsible for testing vaccines – Division 'Virology' and 'Division Microbiology'. They support the WHO in achieving its ambitious aims in the Global Vaccine Action Plan, GVAP) 2011 by 2020.
Terms of reference of the Collaborating Centre
- To support WHO in developing written standards for the scientific assessment of vaccines
- To assist in implementing WHO guidelines into scientific and regulatory practice in Europe and other WHO regions
- To participate in collaborative studies in developing measurement standards and/or standardization of testing methods of vaccines including vaccines against emerging diseases
- To provide scientific and regulatory advice with the aim of reaching a global consensus for handling complex vaccine matters
- To assist in the WHO prequalification programme
- To support WHO in National Regulatory Authority capacity building activities especially in low and middle income countries
Management: Dr Heidi Meyer
Co-ordination: Dr Christoph Conrad
Phone: +49 6103 77 3106